skip to Main Content

Koinonein Forums Koinonein Suggestions Several suggestions

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Koinonein Koinonein 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Dustbin
    Dustbin
    Participant

Hi smaragdus,

Close to tray/Tray Control/version info/Change Directory/Peers will be added to the next version.

The selecting files dialog when adding a torrent is being worked on but this last release was correcting a nasty bug so it never made it in to the current version and selecting a specific location for the individual torrent will be in that dialog.

The portable version is not that far off but Koinonein has a dependent .dll file (sciter.dll) and subject to funding that will shortly become contained in the client .exe so when that happens it will be easily portable as there won’t be any dependency’s.

smaragdus
    smaragdus
    Participant

@dustbin

Thanks for the immediate response.

I would like to ask- are there Beta test versions of Koinonein or they are not public? By the way self-contained portable versions would facilitate testing of Beta builds.

Does Koinonein mean anything or it is a name?

Regards

Dustbin
    Dustbin
    Participant

The last few versions were public in that we expect them to work properly for the features provided but we knew from the outset that people get attached to their favorite client so this client was kept deliberately minimal, while keeping all options available via the settings.xml, with a view to adding on the best bits on request.

Koinonein can be said to ‘have a share’ in something and that was thought to be quite fitting.

smaragdus
    smaragdus
    Participant

@dustbin
    I did some brief testing of Koinonein BitTorrent Client version 0.1.1.2 and so far everything seems bug-free and fine. Yet I have two tiny suggestions:
    – Double click on tray icon brings the program to front- equal to “Show” tray command.
    – When adding a torrent via “Add Torrent” command and browsing for a torrent file only torrent files are shown (files with “.torrent” extension)- now when I browse to “Desktop” Koinonein BitTorrent Client shows all files that are on “Desktop”. If Koinonein BitTorrent Client shows only “.torrent files” selecting a torrent file will be easier and faster.

Dustbin
    Dustbin
    Participant

Hi, added WM_LBUTTONDBLCLK to the tray but you know Add Torrent from the main window is a separate dialog and I think that’s a bit overkill for what is just selecting a file or pasting a string so that will get changed to something better and faster, thanks.

smaragdus
    smaragdus
    Participant

@dustbin
    First, I am testing the latest version of Koinonein- 0.1.1.3- thanks for adding double click command to tray icon.
    I have a question- what about multiple select of torrents for “Change Directory” command? Now torrents have to be selected one by one to move them to another location.
    One more question- have you thought of adding Categories/Labels or you prefer to keep Koinonein simple as simple as possible like for example Halite and Transmission?
    If you release a portable version of Koinonein I promise that I will write a detailed review about it at The Portable Freeware Forum (https://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/).
    Regards

Dustbin
    Dustbin
    Participant

Hi smaragdus,

Adding Categories/Labels is not a problem, do you think it should be general categories or something deeper? Once a .torrent file is loaded by Koinonein it’s never used again as everything is stored in the resume file so adding extra metadata is trivial and when you ‘Get Torrent File’ your getting a new .torrent with all your trackers and web seeds and there is no reason that a ‘Category’ can’t be included in that.

I can add multiple select change directory but initially it would be so that all torrents would be moved to the same chosen directory but we are working on making the main window editable so you can rename/change directory without opening a separate dialog but it’s not very stable at the minute so that’s down the road a little while.

Portable is coming, funds permitting, and we are looking to have just a single installer for 32/64 bit that will let you install either or both or extract the portable versions.

You had a few other suggestions as well that are happening like shortening the name but as the name was used throughout the installation that’s getting done in stages so it does not mess up uninstalling, you might notice the UI is changed already along with the tray icon.

Thanks.

smaragdus
    smaragdus
    Participant

@dustbin

Categories/Labels are useful when one has hundreds of torrents- categorizing them (Audio, Books, Software, Video, etc) makes finding torrents easier. For example qBittorrent, Tixati, uTorrent have native support for adding categories while Deluge relies on a plug-in for that.

qBittorrent - Categories
    qBittorrent - New Category

But I suppose that implementing Categories/Labels in Koinonein will require adding an additional side panel which might be contradictory to your initial GUI design.

A unified x32/x64 installer which detects OS and allows portable installation would be great! For me a portable version would have at least 3 advantages:
    – run it from external drives;
    – it would be easier to backup;
    – testing of different versions without installation;

Yes, I have spotted in the “About” menu that the name has been truncated from “Koinonein BitTorrent Client” to “Koinonein”- for me shorter is simpler and looks better, thanks.

To offer downloads for Koinonein via torrents was a cute idea, it also facilitates testing, thanks.

I will continue testing of Koinonein- it is a breath of fresh air in the torrent clients market. Do you plan to make Koinonein cross platform and release it on Linux/macOS in the future?

I have already asked about the name but I am curious- from what language has it been derived? From a Celtic language?

Regards

Dustbin
    Dustbin
    Participant

We tried to stay away from the side panel as it takes up a lot of real estate for not much information so Koinonein has the Status/Statistics when you hover over the network icon at the bottom right but if Categories/Labels were to be embraced they could have there own tab or a subsection in ‘Info’ tab but you know we don’t mind adding stuff in then removing it again if it does not work so something will be put together for Categories/Labels.

It was a no brainier offering the downloads and updates via the BitTorrent protocol as it keeps server resources to a minimum while still guaranteeing availability so while we have a dedicated download server for site downloads and https web seeding along with a dedicated seedbox it’s working out that the users are covering most of the bandwidth by sharing Koinonein themselves.

We do aim to get Koinonein available on more platforms but it’s just fund permitting so we have to see how it goes or do some crowdfunding to make it happen but when it does no version will have advertisements or such in them and the nature of the UI means all platforms will look exactly the same.

I believe Koinonein is ancient Greek.

Cheers.

Dustbin
    Dustbin
    Participant

Category’s are complete now and will appear in the next version in a day or two, details of usage are in the Knowledge Base.

smaragdus
    smaragdus
    Participant

@dustbin

Hello,

Thanks for all your replies and for adding “Category”.

I think you may change some text strings:

Context menu- “Delete Torrent”- change sub-menu “Delete Torrent Data” to “Delete Data”:

Koinonein - Delete Data

I think “Delete Data” is more clear than “Delete Torrent Data”.

Category- context menu- change “”Remove Unused Category’s” to “Remove Unused Categories”

and

Category- context menu- change “Reset Category’s” to “Reset Categories”:

Categories

Confirmation dialog- change “Category’s” to “Categories”:

Confirmation

You need “sciter.dll” for “Client Settings” menu?

Regards

Koinonein
    Koinonein
    Keymaster

Hi,

Changes shall appear in next version in a day or so.

Sciter is responsible for the entire UI and all scripting between the UI and C++ along with data storage, basically every Window, Dialog and Menu is Sciter HTML and tiscript.

smaragdus
    smaragdus
    Participant

Hello Koinonein developers,

I finally have time to report a problem with the later versions of Koinonein- at least since version 0.1.2.3 Koinonein does not respect current settings- it starts “First Run Wizard” after installation and the list of downloads is messed up after the wizard is finished. I think that the new versions of Koinonein should use the previously saved settings. More, although I installed the latest x64 version over the previous x64 version it also created “C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Koinonein BitTorrent Client x86” beside “C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Koinonein BitTorrent Client x64” but after I deleted the “x86” folder it was not re-created again.

About the new tray menu- I preferred the old one, you may consider re-iconizing the text commands- for me icons are faster recognized than text and iconized commands look better. Also for me the tray commands aligned to the left look better than the tray commands centered.

About the portable version we have discussed in the past- for me it is not important whether the program will consist of a single executable or not but where are all data and settings saved. I suppose that you may add an easy option in “Client Settings” (“Koinonein Settings”) – “Directories” to move all data and settings to program folder (“Portable Mode”). I suppose that such “Portable Mode” may be activated during installation in the “First Run Wizard” giving the user a choice where data and settings should be stored- in “AppData” (“Installation Mode”) or in “Program Folder” (“Portable Mode”). In short- there is no need “sciter.dll” to be embedded in the executable” to use Koinonein in portable mode- for portability it is essential that executable plus data and settings to be in one and the same folder so the program can be moved to another location with all data and settings.

Regards

smaragdus
    smaragdus
    Participant

I forgot one thing- I noticed that when “Use the grid layout” check-box is activated the columns’ width cannot be resized.

I also think that after the latest updates I made the categories I had previously assigned to torrents were somehow lost.

Koinonein
    Koinonein
    Keymaster

Hi, in 0.1.2.3 all the settings from advanced client settings were imported to the UI so we could then start adding in the ones users wanted on request and because there is over two hundred of them it would have added additional startup time to the client, there was already quite a lot of checking and synchronizing going on with the other feature that had been added prior to 0.1.2.3 so 0.1.2.3 was starting from a fresh database, all your torrents, trackers and categories should have been respected though.

Any database version prior to 0.1.2.3 will cause a reset and the First Run Wizard will show.

Columns are resizing properly for me in 0.1.2.4, are you experiencing issues in the latest version?

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Koinonein BitTorrent Client x86
    C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Koinonein BitTorrent Client x64

You will get these two folders if you install both architectures of Koinonein, Koinonein is a single instance application but you can run the 32 and 64 bit versions at the same time as they are separate applications, both versions get updated at the same time but if there was a specific issue with one architecture then they can be updated and distributed separately.

Over 90% of users use the x64 version.

We added ‘Load Geolite2 Country Database From’ option a while back and I think we just need to add an option for loading the language files from a location then Koinonein should be portable but it will expect the database files and sciter.dll to be where the application .exe is located.

I shall go through all the startup code and make sure everything is OK for portable and change the installer to put koinonein.exe in the appdata folder that way everything will be contained in a single folder and it will most defiantly work portable, your on the beta testing email list so you’ll get an email towards the end of the week to test things out.

We added full language support if your interested in providing a translation?

smaragdus
    smaragdus
    Participant

Hello developers,

Several remarks below.

About localization, one day I may translate Koinonein to my mother tongue (it is included in your list) but I cannot promise, right now I don’t have enough time for that. One more thing- there was “ISO-639-1” folder in “Koinonein BitTorrent Client x64” but it was empty, so I extracted the installer (“Koinonein-Setup-0.1.2.4-x64.exe”) and copied “ISO-639-1.txt” and “en.lng” to ” ISO-639-1″ folder.

About installation- I have only used the x64 version yet I am sure that version 0.1.2.4 also created folder “Koinonein BitTorrent Client x86” beside “Koinonein BitTorrent Client x64”- I have never installed the x32 version of Koinonein.

About memory usage- after I installed version 0.1.2.4 I let Koinonein run for several days on end and today I spotted higher memory usage- Koinonein peaked resource-hogs like Firefox and Chrome, it was using more than 12% of the total used memory. Perhaps this is a kind of a memory leak? The tray menu was hardly accessible and the main window was unresponsive for some time. After I exited it and restarted it Koinonein returned to normal memory usage. But after the restart I noticed that the order of the torrents was messed up (I restored it from the last back-up I had made). Perhaps this mess in the database was caused by the program being unresponsive for some time before exit?

About tests- of course you can always send me test builds (alphas, betas, etc) and I will test them when I have time (on Windows 8 x64).

A question- have you ever thought of colour themes? Anyway, I like the current colour scheme but an additional one (for example- a darker one) might be appreciated by other users too.

Regards

Koinonein
    Koinonein
    Keymaster

Hi,

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Koinonein BitTorrent Client x64 will be created by the installer and the installer will create the ISO-639-1 folder and content and the geolite2-country.mmdb file will be added also, if you happen to delete C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Koinonein BitTorrent Client x64 then koinonein.exe will create it again next launch as it needs it’s base folder to store the databases in, this is kind of the behavior you expect for an installed application but not desirable for a portable version so portable will have to be a separate build rather than a combined build.

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Koinonein BitTorrent Client x86 can only be created by the 32bit version or the 32bit installer but I noticed in a few version back the 32bit was missing from the description in a lot of sites Koinonein is listed on.

Garbage collection was mistakenly left off in 0.1.2.4, it was turned off to make sure memory was being correctly released after torrents were stopped, fixed for 0.1.2.5, but there is also an issue in Libtorrent with peer_class objects that’s been resolved and will appear in 0.1.2.5.

Adding a dark/light theme option is not a problem, feature will appear in a build or so.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© Koinonein Ltd 2015 - 2017 All Rights Reserved

Koinonein On Facebook
Koinonein On Twitter
Koinonein On Google+
Koinonein RSS
Koinonein On Google+
Koinonein Pinterest
Koinonein Gitter